Gowanus residents work toward the future they imagine for their community.
Who We’re Working With
“I come from a family of agitators, investigators, and protesters.” As a Dark Matter University faculty member, public health urbanist Nupur Chaudhury is working with our Gowanus fellowship program.
May – Jun 2021
- Learn about local inclusion and equity challenges by talking to neighbors, business owners, community groups, and public officials, among others
- Learn from DMU faculty about ways to support social justice through design
- Study design projects that advance equity and inclusion in NYC and the US
Jul – Aug 2021
Make a Plan
- Using prototypes and community feedback sessions, create a list of design ideas and recommendations to support social justice in Gowanus
Sep – Oct 2021
Put Ideas into Practice
- Collaboratively bring design ideas to life with Van Alen and DMU faculty
- Working with Van Alen and DMU, apply design recommendations toward the redesign of Van Alen’s office into public space that serves the community
- Share work with the wider neighborhood for more feedback, and engage community members in ways that can advance fellows’ efforts forward