We’re Hiring! Strategic Partnerships Associate
November 21, 2022
Van Alen Institute seeks a full-time Strategic Partnerships Associate to act as a core member of our team focused on the cultivation and engagement of the Van Alen Network.
Van Alen Institute seeks a full-time Strategic Partnerships Associate to act as a core member of our team focused on the cultivation and engagement of the Van Alen Network. This new position is the result of our work over the past three years to evolve the organization’s network to best support our community partners in bringing form to their neighborhood visions.
The Van Alen Network is a collective of individuals and institutions united by their commitment to upending traditional city-making and economic development models through the inclusive design process. Representing diverse and complementary expertise and experiences, they provide their knowledge, tools, and/or resources to power each phase of Van Alen’s inclusive design process, helping give form to community vision. As our closest collaborators and advocates, the Board of Trustees constitute a critical component of this network.
The Strategic Partnerships Associate is responsible for the management of the Network, the Board of Trustees, and corresponding engagement strategies and events. A member of the Strategic Partnerships team, the Strategic Partnerships Associate will be charged with working closely with the Programs team to ensure that all events and public programs are firmly rooted in Van Alen’s values and programs.
In close collaboration with the Executive Director (ED) and Director of Strategic Partnerships (DSP), and Director of Programs, the Strategic Partnerships Associate focuses on stewarding, expanding, and increasing engagement across the Van Alen Network and Board of Trustees through communications, events, strategic meetings, relationship development, and network database management. With keen awareness and attention to detail, the Strategic Partnerships Associate manages a variety of external relations for the ED and DSP and acts as the primary liaison to the Board. Reporting directly to the DSP, the Strategic Partnerships Associate will play a vital role on the Strategic Partnerships team.
Van Alen is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are committed to reflecting the communities in which we work and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented populations to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and disabled people.
The salary for this position is $60,000 annually. Generous benefits are provided at no extra cost to the employee. Partial contribution is required for dependents. Van Alen offers remote work opportunities on Monday and Friday. Van Alen is an equal opportunity employer.
- Lead the planning and production of year-round programming for network member stewardship and prospect cultivation including event logistics and communications
- Work closely with DSP and Programs team to identify network needs and execute plans for network cultivation; produce collateral materials for cultivation around programming and targeted fundraising among select network members
- Manage and track incoming donations from network and board members in collaboration with the Managing Director and external accounting team; prepare acknowledgement correspondence for individual donations and ensure recognition of support on all relevant organizational collateral
- Maintain the network database to ensure information across teams is up-to-date; manage related protocols and categories for sorting and pulling data; continuously update and evolve the database based on staff feedback and usage cases
- Coordinate with development team on the implementation of systems around network and impact that effectively formalize input processes, organize and structure information, provide impact analysis, and define success; manage data around network composition and engagement
- Coordinate with ED administrative support on day-to-day scheduling and meetings with external parties including network members, board members, and prospective partners in congruence with DSP calendar
- As critical members of the Van Alen Network, manage the administration, cultivation, and stewardship of the Board of Trustees; includes all board communications around meetings, giving, and organizational updates
- Lead the planning and execution of high-level board meetings and events, such as quarterly general board and committee meetings, the board + staff retreat, and special events. Tasks include: setting meeting agenda, tracking attendance, preparing materials and supporting collateral, and managing location and catering, and providing administrative support to the Executive and Nominating & Governance committees
- Work strategically with the Nominating and Governance Committee Chair and DSP to manage the board member nomination process; cultivate and steward prospective board candidates; coordinate on-boarding and exit processes for new board members
- Manage board succession planning with ED and DSP; track member terms and contributions
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum two years’ professional experience that demonstrates a proven track record of outstanding networking, fundraising, events, and administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with staff at all organizational levels and to interact professionally with network and board members, donors, volunteers, and other external stakeholders in person and via telephone and email communication
- Strong interest in community-led inclusive design and spatial justice
- Ability to distill large amounts of information into concise and relevant briefings for relationship management and prospect cultivation
- Highly organized and detail oriented, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and produce quality work within tight time constraints
- A high level of energy, initiative, and ability to think creatively and strategically are essential
- Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Google Drive; and databases (preferably Salesforce)
How to Apply
Please send your application to email@example.com with cover letter, resume, and writing sample in a single PDF with subject line “Strategic Partnerships Associate: [Name].”