Administrative Coordinator (Part-Time)
January 24, 2023
For immediate hire. Van Alen seeks a part-time Administrative Coordinator to provide executive scheduling, event coordination, and office and operations support across the organization.
About Van Alen
Van Alen Institute is a 129-year-old design nonprofit that creates more equitable cities through community-led inclusive design. We partner with leaders of historically disinvested communities to support their immediate needs and long term visions with our network, knowledge, and resources. We shape diverse interdisciplinary teams, build cross-sector public/private coalitions, and invest our own funds to support neighborhood priorities. By centering community in everything we do, our inclusive design method responds to the urgent need for social justice in citymaking.
Van Alen seeks a part-time Administrative Coordinator to provide executive scheduling, event coordination, and office and operations support across the organization. Reporting to the Managing Director (MD), the Administrative Coordinator will take on a wide range of responsibilities to create an efficient, supportive, and engaging environment for Van Alen staff and partners.
This part-time position is expected to work 20 hours per week at a rate of $27.00 per hour. The position will be hybrid, with at least two days per week, Tuesday through Thursday, in Van Alen’s offices, and will require the ability to support evening events as needed.
- Provide a wide range of administrative support to the ED and MD including scheduling and coordination of day-to-day internal and external meetings
- In collaboration with Programs, Communications, and Strategic Partnerships teams, act as logistical support for community-led and partner events hosted in Van Alen’s space
- In collaboration with the MD, solicit, coordinate, and act as organizational liaison for paid rentals in Van Alen’s space
- Organize engaging team-wide events, such as annual holiday parties, weekly staff lunches, and other all staff events and meetings as needed
- Oversee general office maintenance and operations tasks such as ordering inventory and supplies, maintaining physical and digital archives, sorting and distributing incoming mail and emails, supporting improvements to the office IT environment, supporting onboarding and offboarding of staff, and arranging catering and set-up for internal and external meetings
- Coordinate volunteer and intern programs
- Liaise with property manager and MD to support building management, including scheduling and overseeing vendors
- Perform general reception duties including greeting visitors, responding to inquiries, and answering general calls
- Other tasks as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum two years’ experience that demonstrates a proven track record of outstanding administrative skills
- A high level of energy, initiative, and ability to think creatively and strategically are essential
- Interest in the design, architecture, and urban planning fields
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and produce quality work within tight time constraints
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with staff at all organizational levels and to interact professionally with community members, trustees, donors, volunteers, and other external stakeholders in person and via telephone and email communication
- Computer proficiency in Google Suite, AirTable, and Salesforce preferred
How to Apply
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter and resume in a single PDF with subject line “Administrative Coordinator (Part-Time): [Name].”
Van Alen is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are committed to reflecting the communities in which we work and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented populations to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and disabled people. Van Alen is an equal opportunity employer.