After more than 126 years of producing profound transformations in the public realm of New York City and beyond, Van Alen Institute is refocusing its mission to create equitable cities through inclusive design. In an equitable city, communities are engaged in the conception and creation of their built environment, regardless of income or personal circumstances. Community-driven decision-making builds resilience, social infrastructure, and ultimately, more just cities.
Van Alen seeks a highly skilled and collaborative Project Manager, Programs to lead assigned public realm projects and urbanism initiatives. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Project Manager will work closely with communities and the Van Alen ecosystem to build strong partnerships, help frame local issues, lead community engagement activities, and create public spaces that support social cohesion in New York City and the region at large. The Project Manager should be a great facilitator and a strategic problem solver with experience developing and overseeing community-focused initiatives that engage diverse stakeholders.
Van Alen is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are committed to reflecting the communities in which we work and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented populations to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and disabled people.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Identify, develop, and implement innovative projects in the public realm that address pressing issues affecting historically under-resourced communities
- Develop and implement community engagement, user research, and/or participatory research, including data analysis and communication of related information
- Engage and manage diverse partners — including community based organizations, designers, elected officials, and philanthropic organizations — ensuring all are informed, aligned, and excited as projects progress
- Oversee development of projects from initiation to completion, including development and monitoring of project scope, timeline, budgets, contracts, event management, developing agendas, run of shows, managing vendors, and supporting with outreach
- Draft RFQs, reports, scopes of work, and other communication materials for a diverse audience
- Collaborate with internal communications and development teams
- Oversee information tracking for project documentation, evaluation, and reporting
- Manage administrative and organizational tasks for each project such as arranging travel and accommodation, taking minutes, preparing research and documents, and maintaining records
- Minimum three years’ experience in community engagement, user/participatory research, participatory design, strategic design, urban planning, urban design, architecture, policy, or related field
- Minimum three years’ experience successfully developing, launching, and implementing urbanism projects
- Experience engaging diverse groups including community members, municipalities, philanthropies, and designers
- Collaborative and adaptive mindset; comfortability with and interest in iterative and learning-focused processes
- Strong project management skillset with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and manage budgets with multiple funding streams
- Experience supporting and facilitating interdisciplinary design teams to develop innovative and compelling solutions
- Experience drafting content for a wide audience including reports, key findings, briefs, and web materials
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with staff at all organizational levels and to interact professionally with internal and external stakeholders in person and via telephone and email communication
- A commitment to advancing social equity and inclusive design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite, and Project Management software (i.e. Asana) preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application to email@example.com with cover letter, resume, and writing sample in a single PDF with subject line “Project Manager, Programs: [Name].”
The salary range for this position is $60,000-70,000 annually. Generous benefits are provided at no extra cost to employee. Contribution is required for dependents. Van Alen is an equal opportunity employer.