Join us for an afternoon of fruitful discussions and talks on how Nordic architecture and design approaches are setting new standards for creating livable and sustainable built environments. Come and meet notable speakers from the Nordic region and NYC, and engage in the discussion.
Historically unprecedented urbanization characterizes the 21st century. When resource-scarcity, climate change and growing demands for livability are added to this mix, the nexus between resiliency policy drivers, innovative clean technology, and community engagement become a critical vehicle for creating a resilient urban built environment. The Nordic countries are in a strong position to address many of these challenges. The ongoing Nordic Built Cities Challenge sets out a common Nordic framework with 10 principles aiming at increasing multidisciplinary cooperation.
Building on the inspiring discussions from last year’s session on the role of architecture, policy and technology within climate adaptation, the Nordic Consulates of Norway, Finland, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, and Danish Cleantech Hub together with Nordic Innovation are proud to co-host a joint Nordic official Archtober event again this year.
This event is divided into two panel sessions:
- In Panel I, internationally renowned architects, designers, and policy makers from the Nordic region will present on their winning projects from the Nordic Built Cities competition.
- In Panel II, our NYC counterparts and other Nordic stakeholders will respond to the 10 principles laid out in Nordic Built Cities Charter based on their own vantage points.
Speakers from the Nordics and NYC include:
Moderator: Anne Guiney, Director of Research, Van Alen Institute
- Christian Nyerup Nielsen, Global Service Line Leader, Climate Adaptation and Flood Risk Management, Ramboll (Denmark)
- Kasper Guldager, Senior Partner, 3XN (Denmark)
- Juha Leppänen, CEO, Demos Effect (Finland)
- Meri Louekari, City of Helsinki (Finland)
- Dagný Bjarnadóttir, Landscape Architect, Owner, DLD Dágny Land Design (Iceland)
- Magnus Wåge, Architect, Partner Mestres Wåge Arquitectes (Norway/Spain)
- Malin Kock Hansen, Innovation adviser, Nordic (Norway)
- Rikard Jaucis, Architect, M.Arch, MNAL, Snøhetta (Norway)
- Monica von Schmalensee, CEO, White Arkitekter (Sweden)
- Felix Brännlund, Landscape Architect LAR/MSA WSP Sweden (Sweden)
- Jacob Sahlqvist, Chairman of the Board, Architects Sweden (Sweden)
- Sander Schuur, Director of Business Development North America, White Arkitekter (Sweden)
- Stefan Sjöberg, Founding Partner, Kjellander & Sjöberg Arkitektkontor AB (Sweden)
- Rahel Belatchew Lerdell, Founder and CEO, Belatchew Arkitekter (Sweden)
- David Van der Leer, Executive Director, Van Alen Institute
To request an invitation, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate your preference to attend Panel I, Panel II, or both.