The Communications and Marketing Coordinator supports the marketing, social media, web, and other communications efforts across all departments at Van Alen as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The role will coordinate with Competitions, Research, Public Programs, Development, and project teams for public relations, outreach, promotion, and related materials for concurrent projects. This position reports to the Director of Communications and Marketing and serves as an integral executor of our communications strategy.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the implementation of Van Alen’s communications strategies
- Schedule, prepare and distribute print and digital communications such as event invitations, monthly newsletters, mailings, and press releases
- Manage Van Alen’s website and social media platforms, including posting original content, videos, and web albums on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, et al.
- Coordinate production of graphic materials, photography, and multimedia projects, including web pages and documentation of public programs and events
- Maintain and develop media contact lists
- Support relationships with media contacts; fulfill cross-promotions with media outlets and partners and peer organizations
- Maintain archive of press clips and share internally and with key stakeholders
- Conduct outreach to individuals and organizations to build Van Alen’s audience
- Strong interest or background in design, urban studies, architecture, urban planning, journalism, or a related field
- Exceptional written, verbal, and visual communication skills; stickler for detail and accuracy
- Excellent graphic design skills and familiarity with photography and digital image management
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms
- Proficiency required in HTML/CSS, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with database maintenance and management; familiarity with Salesforce or comparable CRM software preferred
- Competent in executing delegated tasks, communicating progress, and proactively undertaking work
- Ability to work collaboratively across all departments of a multi-disciplinary team
- Flexible in multi-tasking, managing several projects at a time, coordinating with interns and volunteers, and functioning under deadline pressure
- Self-motivated and professional attitude toward all levels of assigned tasks
- One to three years’ experience required in a public relations, communications, non-profit, cultural, or arts organization
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application to email@example.com with cover letter and resume in a single PDF with the subject line, “Communications and Marketing Coordinator: [your name}.” Please include three work samples: one written, one image-based (graphics, photography, or video) and one item of business correspondence.
The position pays an annual salary of 43K plus generous benefits at no extra cost to the employee. Contribution is required for dependents. Van Alen Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Van Alen Institute internships are an opportunity to get involved in a diverse range of activities across our design competitions, public programs, research, communications, development, and operations departments. Positions are part-time and based at the Institute’s office in Manhattan’s Flatiron neighborhood.
We’re currently seeking enthusiastic volunteers who are interested in helping our small staff to make Van Alen programs and events happen. Roles will be tailored according to the volunteer’s interest, past experience, and strengths.