VAI Announces NYSCA Independent Project Grants
Van Alen Institute is pleased to offer an opportunity for architecture, design, and historic preservation professionals to apply for fiscal sponsorship for New York State Council on the Arts Independent Project grants.
NYSCA's 2013 program in Architecture, Planning, and Design makes grants of up to $10,000 available for individuals (or teams) to creatively research an issue or problem in architecture, design, and/or historic preservation that advances the relevant field and contributes to the public’s understanding of design. The category seeks projects that are innovative in nature and emphasize artistry and design excellence.
NYSCA Independent Project Grants: What You Need to Know
• Design fields which are supported include architecture, landscape architecture, and graphic, fashion, industrial, furniture, and interior design.
• Independent Projects originate with the individual (or team). Applications may only be submitted through a sponsoring organization.
• Your project dates must fall within Van Alen's 12-month NYSCA grant period of 07/01/2012 - 06/30/2013.
• Previously funded projects have included the development of design prototypes, historical studies of building types, critical and theoretical analyses, and explorations of new technology for the design fields.
• Funds awarded for Independent Projects are individual artist awards, but are not fellowships. All funded projects are awarded the full amount requested up to $10,000. Requests must include the artist’s fee and may include related project expenses.
• Only architecture, design, and historic preservation professionals who are New York State residents are eligible to apply for Independent Projects. Visual artists whose work references the built environment are not eligible for support.
• Individuals may be associated with only one project request per year. If individuals appear on more than one request, both requests will be deemed ineligible for support.
• Student projects are not eligible for support. Currently matriculated students must document that their projects are not related to the completion of a degree. Faculty member projects may not be part of a course curriculum.
• NYSCA funds cannot be used for out-of-state travel expenses.
How to Apply
To apply through Van Alen Institute, please download the instructions and registration form (Word document or PDF) and return the form as a text document to Susannah Bohlke (email@example.com) by midnight on June 1, 2012.
Van Alen will select up to twenty Independent Project applicants, whose applications will be judged based on their completeness, eligibility, and alignment with Van Alen Institute’s mission to catalyze innovative thinking about the design of the public realm.
Selected applicants will be registered by Van Alen and will receive a username and password in order to complete their full application by NYSCA’s deadline of June 20, 2012.
For further information about this funding opportunity and application instructions, see NYSCA’s Architecture, Planning, and Design Program's guidelines for the Independent Projects Category at www.nysca.org.